It appears that your browser does not support JavaScript, or you have it disabled. This site is best viewed with JavaScript enabled. If JavaScript or cookies are disabled in your browser, please enable them and then reload this page.
Skip to main content
Skip to main content
Item Count: 0
Sub-Total: $0.00

Info for Grads

Where do I Purchase a Cap and Gown?

The Ichabod Shop is your source for purchasing your graduation regalia.


Due to Covid-19, student Regalia sets are available for purchase only.


Please sign up for our Graduation Newsletter to stay informed about Regalia and Graduation Gift Specials.

Regalia options and FAQ


When is my graduation ceremony?
The Commencement Ceremonies for Washburn University (except School of Law) will be held May 1 - May 8 at Yager Stadium.

Washburn University (except School of Law) Spring and Fall 2020 graduates:
  • Saturday, May 1, 3:00 pm
  • Rain date, if needed: May 2

Washburn University (except School of Law) Spring and Fall 2021 graduates:
  • Saturday, May 8, 3:00 pm
  • Rain date, if needed: May 9

Washburn University School of Law:
  • 2020 & 2021 graduates: Saturday, May 15, 2 pm, Lee Arena.

Special School Events:
  • School of Nursing 2021 pinning ceremony: May 7, 3:30 pm, Lee Arena
  • School of Applied Studies pinning ceremony: May 8, 10 am, Lee Arena
Registration and Guests:
Students who are planning to attend their graduation ceremony this May must register by visiting
Each student will be allowed up to 6 guests at their ceremony; graduating students will be asked during the registration process to indicate the number of guests they anticipate will attend their ceremony, to aid in Washburn University planning.

Health & Safety
In order to maximize safety, we are moving our largest graduation ceremonies outdoors to Yager Stadium, while smaller ceremonies will be held in Lee Arena. For all ceremonies in all facilities, we will follow Shawnee County guidance and health orders regarding COVID-19 safety, and we will adapt our plans to new developments as they arise.

All ceremonies will be live-streamed to allow remove participation. Faculty are welcome to participate in-person in these ceremonies, but may also participate virtually if they choose-additional information about remote participation is pending.

For more information, please check the Washburn University Commencement page here.

Click here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions about commencement


Graduation Announcements

Where Do I Purchase Graduation Announcements?

You can order graduation announcements online with CB Grad Announcements.
The Ichabod Shop does not sell graduation announcements in store.

I have questions about Diplomas and Diploma Frames

Where do I get my diploma?

Diplomas are usually available six to eight weeks after the end of each semester or term.
Graduates may pick up their diplomas in the Student One Stop, Morgan Hall Welcome Center, during regular business hours. Bring a photo ID!
If you wish to have your diploma mailed to you, click here

Where can I find a Washburn Diploma Frame?

Washburn Diploma Frames can be ordered online or purchased in-store at the Ichabod Shop.


Class Rings and other gifts

Where can I purchase a class ring or other customized gifts?

We have partnered with Balfour Gifts for class rings.
Be sure to check out their selection of gifts!

Latin Honors

I'm receiving Latin Honors. Where do I get my honor cords?

Undergraduate students receiving a bachelor's degree who meet the University's requirements to receive Latin Honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude, cum laude) will be awarded the appropriate honor cords to be worn during the commencement ceremony. Honor cords will be presented to bachelor degree candidates only at the time you pick up your name card prior to the ceremony.

Regalia Options and FAQ

Bachelors/Associate Regalia
Bachelor and Associate Graduate regalia will be available for online ordering on April 6, 2021.

Masters Degree
Masters Degree Graduates must purchase regalia by Special Order.
Graduates must order BOTH the "Masters Set," consisting of Cap, Gown and Tassel, and the "Hood."

Law Degree / Doctor of Nursing Practice
Law and Doctor of Nursing Practice Graduates wear Special Order Regalia.

Faculty Members
Contact Adrianne Johnson: 785-670-1921 or [email protected]

Washburn Tech
Washburn Tech Graduates wear blue cap & gown, with silver/navy blue tassel.
Regalia for the Spring 2021 Commencement Ceremonies for Tech Students will be distributed in person by the Ichabod Shop at Washburn Tech.
Students will need to bring their Washburn Student ID with them to claim their regalia.
Regalia for Tech graduates is paid for by Washburn Tech.
Regalia for students in the Cosmetology program will be delivered to their building location.


Q: What color are the gowns?
Regalia (cap and gown) are black.
The tassel color is determined by type of degree. (e.g.Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Education)

Q: Do I have to buy a gown?
You must have a gown to walk in the ceremony.
You need to buy a black gown if you do not have access to one for the ceremony.

Q: How long should the gown be?
The length of the gown should be between mid-calf and upper ankle.

Q: I have a Bachelors gown, but I am getting a Masters degree. Do I need a new gown?
Yes, you do.
Masters gowns differ from Bachelors gowns in style and embellishment.
Among other differences, the gown has velvet trim and longer sleeves that extend past the hand.

Q: I am getting my Masters, do I need a hood and a cap?
Yes, you need both the hood and the cap.
The Masters "hood" is an academic symbol of your degree, and is different from a jacket hood.
It is worn around your neck and draped on your back.

Q: I know what my major is, how do I know what my "degree" is?
A: Click here 
to find out what your "degree" is (a Bachelor of what?).

Online FAQ:

Q: How do I know what size to order?
Students ordering online are asked to select a size.
This refers to average t-shirt size.
Caps / tams are one size fits all.

Q: Why did I receive an e-mail saying that my order was in?
An automatic confirmation e-mail is generated when on-line orders are processed.
Please note the special instructions for Regalia Orders in your Confirmation e-mail.

Pick-up dates for Masters Regalia are posted as that information becomes available.
Generally, these pick up dates are approximately two weeks prior to graduation.

Law Rental Regalia usually arrives the week before Graduation.


Ichabod Shop
Washburn Memorial Union
1700 SW College Avenue
Topeka, KS 66621
P: (785) 670-1049
Regular Store Hours:
Monday - Friday: 9 am - 5 pm
Saturday - Sunday: Closed
Privacy and Disclaimer